Sunday, August 9, 2020

Fault correction for Laptop Camera turning on/off in video mode

 Recently after an update of Windows 10 in Sona's laptop , her laptop camera suddenly started behaving erratically. In video mode the camera would start turning off after every 2secs and then turn on again. This caused problems in taking online tests with digital proctoring. Since we were in lockdown, getting laptop to HP service shop was also ruled out. Then I decided to troubleshoot it myself from help articles in the internet. 

  First I tried updating the driver for the camera, so I uninstalled and then again reinstalled the drivers. This did not work. I thought that Kaspersky must be hampering access to camera, so went to privacy settings and disabled the web cam protection. This did not work. Then disabled Kaspersky from running and all firewalls switched off which did not help. The problem persisted irritatingly. Then I tried to remove the Camera app from Microsoft, but it could not be uninstalled. It had to be done from Power Shell command. Following the online commands from Microsoft help I uninstalled and then again reinstalled the Camera app. No luck the problem still persisted. I then thought that the last resort would be to try to restore Windows 10 operating system to an earlier date when the camera had been working properly. But I would loose a lot of work which I had done in the intervening period. From the internet another thing I tried was altering the registry editor to enter a new key 'EnableFrameServerMode' in the Windows given path. But this solution too did not work.

Then lastly in one of the posts I read that changing the name of the driver folders slightly had helped many people facing the same issue as I was having with the camera. I did the change and Eureka!!

the camera started working properly. Eternally thankful to the program developers who can go through the code and find solutions to such problems and then publish it online so others can benefit. 

The hack 

Go to C:\ProgramFiles\Realtek

Change RsProviders folder name  to RsProviders_ (as backup)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is extremely important for me. So do leave a comment.