Sunday, March 6, 2016

Start of Std 12 Board Exams


Sona's board exams started on 1st March. It was a really hectic process, deciding who will drop her , pick her, accompany her to the room etc. She at first refused to let us fussy old parents near her. It is big insult for a girl her age to be accompanied by those unwanted yet necessary appendages- parents. I recollect faintly having such feelings for my parents, but not nearly as fervent as her feelings are. After the English exam was over she reluctantly revealed that the fan in her classroom was not working. I demanded immediately to know whether any of the students had reported it to the authorities, but it seemed that no one had. I immediately decided to do something about it, though Sum didn't agree with me. I tried to call up the school but no one picked up, so I wrote a mail instead and lo behold there was a reply a few hours later which confused me. I had written a nice and proper letter to them 


Dear  Madam,

                          My child is appearing for the Std 12 Board examination and the exam centre is at your reputed school in the seventh standard classroom. Unfortunately during the first exam in English on 1st March, the ceiling fan in the classroom was not working. You can surely imagine the plight of the students already under a lot of stress and tension in the sweltering heat of the sun in the first floor classroom. I am sure that once this problem is brought to your notice the fan in the classroom will be made operational so that the students will not suffer in the heat which will only increase in the days to come. Expecting your kind cooperation in the matter. 

Thanks etc

and the reply was as follows

Dear Sir,
        I am extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused however care is being taken and I ensure that this will  repeated in future.


Thanking you, etc

Now is this just a grammatical error, which considering the  state of English education in India is quite justified, or (horrible to think of) a disguised threat.
The only way to find out will be to wait for the next exam.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is extremely important for me. So do leave a comment.